Message from the Race Director
Only 6 days until the race and the course is in great condition.
I have a few requests to pass on:
1) Give yourselves plenty of time to drive up. From the Uptown area of Albuquerque, it’s about an hour drive with good conditions. More if road conditions are difficult. NM Roads is a good site to check (look for highway 536).
2) We highly encourage car pooling. With Racers,Volunteers and Spectators we may have close to 200 people. The Crest Parking is nicely plowed but there are a finite number of parking spaces.
3) The race course is “open”. You may encounter other users on the course.
Please be courteous to these people.
4) There are no aid stations on the course. Plan your fluid needs accordingly.
5) If at all possible, please try to pick up your Race packets at REI from 4-8 Friday the 25th. You will be able to pick up your packet at the race site, if Friday does not work.
Race day packet pickup on-site is from 8:30 to 9:30am.
6) Awards and a raffle will be done as soon as possible after the race. We hope 11:15-11:30. First finishers may need to wait awhile. Please, everyone, be patient.
We won’t give out awards until the awards ceremony. A suggestion- if you are waiting, it’s worth getting into some dry clothing. The North Crest trail (north across the highway) is nice for a warm down.
7) We have a great timing system. It is very important to have your race number fully visible when you cross the finish( not crumpled up and stuck in a pocket or under clothing).
Many people place the number on the thigh just above the knee and this works well.
8) The Race starts promptly at 10:00 am. Everyone should be on the start line by 9:50 am.
We look forward to seeing you next Saturday!
Steve Roholt, Race Director
16th Annual Sandia Mountain Snowshoe Race
Please plan to join us for the 16th Annual Sandia Mountain Snowshoe Race, presented by the Friends of the Sandia Mountains on Saturday, January 26, 2019. The Race will begin at 10:00 am at the lower level parking lot at Sandia Crest and is a 5-km/3.1 mile tour through beautiful trails in the Cibola National Forest.
Registration instructions will be available at this web site (www.sandiasnowshoe.com) beginning in late November.
All proceeds go to the Friends of the Sandia Mountains for preservation and maintenance of trails and other US Forest Service resources.
The registration fee includes pre- and post-race refreshments, the required parking fee at the Crest, and prizes in several categories. The race is limited to 150 participants, and racers of all levels are invited to participate. The registration limit is usually met early, so please don’t delay and miss out on the fun.
We suggest that you try to carpool to the Crest on race day. Parking may be limited.